Celebrity chef and nutritionist Serena Poon says this dish can be challenging, but only if you aren’t mindful of the directions. Or if you run out of patience. “Mastering this dish requires cooking the rice to the perfect texture, continual stirring, simmering and attention and presence of mind with the dish,” she advises.
Yield: 8 servings
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
2 cups white wine
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper (optional)
2 tablespoons butter or vegan butter
1/2 cup grated Asiago cheese (or vegan parmesan cheese)
24 asparagus spears, cut into pieces
Salt, as needed
1. Bring broth to boil in a medium saucepan; reduce heat and simmer.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large saucepan. Add onion, reduce heat, and sauté for 1 minute. Add rice and cook, stirring to coat, about 2 minutes.
3. Add half of simmered broth to rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice absorbs the broth, about 6-8 minutes. Add remaining broth and simmer, stirring, until broth is absorbed, another 6-8 minutes. Add wine and simmer, stirring, until risotto is creamy and the rice is tender. Add pepper(s), butter and cheese.
4. Steam asparagus until tender, about 4 minutes; add to risotto.
5. Garnish with fresh microgreens or herbs of choice