Home tends to be a safe space but sometimes things just feel off. If you’ve been in a funk lately and you’re considering a cleanse here are some things to look out for in your space:
- Sickness: Being ill can cause stress which may induce negative energy in your space.
- Loss: Cleansing your home after mourning the loss of a loved one or a relationship can help you work through the grief.
- Negativity: If you’re excessively arguing, complaining, criticizing, or playing the blame game with those in your household it may be time to clear the air.
- Transitions: When you’re going through a big change like getting married, moving, having a child, or adopting a pet, you need to create space for those new energies.
- Restlessness: If you are ready for growth but just can’t seem to make any progress, the vibes in your space may be holding you back.
- Clutter: Clutter blocks the flow of energy throughout your home, which in some cases could be keeping the negative in and the positive out.
So what do you do when that safe space is inundated with negative energy radiating off everything from a rough breakup to poor furniture layout?
The answer is simple: you make small changes around the house to bring deep, energetic positivity back into the home. And it sounds a lot harder than it is.
From smudge sticks to dream catchers, here are 10 house cleansing actions you can take to banish bad energy from your space — for good.
1. Smudge liberally
Both shamans and healers alike have long believed that smudging a room — aka ritualistically burning sage or another sacred plant to purify the air — can quickly ward off negative energy and usher new, positive energy into space. Cleanse your home by lighting a sacred plant, such as sage, sweetgrass or juniper, and follow the four-direction ceremony — where you call upon each direction (North, South, East, West) for guidance — whenever you need to shift the current energy.
Here are a few other tips to guide your smudging practice:
- Try to buy your materials from spiritual experts as opposed to mass retailers. For example, if you want to use sage look for Native-American owned businesses that sustainably source it.
- Keep candles or matches on hand to quickly relight your smudge stick during the process if need be.
- Additionally, holding a fireproof dish beneath your smudge stick can keep stray ashes and embers from scattering around your home. This could be anything from a clay bowl to an abalone shell, just try to use something that is meaningful to you.
- It can also be helpful to have a bowl of sand at the ready to extinguish the burning smudge stick when the ritual is complete.
2. Employ protective crystals around your place
Many healers believe that different crystals hold different energies — so placing certain ones throughout your home can help combat unfavorable energy throughout your space. Set a few protective crystals, such as Black Tourmaline, Blue Kyanite, or Spirit Quartz, in high-traffic areas of your home (like your coffee table, nightstand or entryway) to keep bad vibes at bay while ushering in some positivity.
3. Hang a dream catcher above your bed
Originally used in Ojibwe culture, dream catchers — a willow hoop, often with feathers, designed to look like a spider web — have long been employed as protective charms that can catch bad spirits and protect those who sleep under one from negativity and nightmares. So, simply hang a dream catcher above your bed to ward off bad energy and thoughts while you sleep. Some legends say to avoid touching the web, as your nightmares are trapped there.
4. Put a Himalayan salt lamp on your nightstand
Composed of salt crystals mined from the Himalayan Mountains, Himalayan salt lamps offer both decorative and environmental benefits. They are packed with negative ions that naturally detoxify the air and are believed to absorb negative energies — so employ one on your nightstand for a more mindful bedside lighting source.
5. Switch up your living room layout
Feng shui (ancient Chinese art of living) enthusiasts have long argued that certain furniture layouts can seriously mess with the energy of your home if the flow of chi (energy) is off or cluttered. Ensure that the energy of your place stays peaceful by arranging your living room furniture in a rectangle or a square — rather than an irregular or polygonal spatial pattern — since feng shui experts say this layout will improve your luck and usher positive energy into your home.
6. Diffuse essential oils around your house
Scent is one of the most powerful senses humans possess. No surprise then that wellness experts believe in the healing and protective benefits of aromatherapy. Spritz some lavender essential oil spray around your home to neutralize bad frequencies in your space, use sandalwood to dispel fears and negative energies, or try a restorative pillow spray to assist in sleep.
7. Decorate with houseplants
Looking for an all-natural way to purify the air in your home and boost your spirits at the same time? Houseplants are scientifically proven to clean the air, deter illness and boost healing — so keeping at least one houseplant in every room will help ensure that the air and the energy of your place stay nice and toxin-free.
8. Throw out broken items
Ask any feng shui expert and they will tell you the same: Broken objects harbor bad vibes. Not only will hanging on to unfixable items prevent you from living in a clean and clutter-free space, but it also demonstrates (to yourself and visitors) that you can’t let go of the past — even when it is counterproductive. Help rid your place of negativity by immediately throwing out any furnishings, electronics and décor accents that no longer serve a purpose and see how much better you feel afterwards.
9. Ring bells in rooms with bad vibes
If you weren’t already hip to the healing powers of bells, then now is the time to smarten up. Because of the soothing, vibratory sound bells produce, it is believed that ringing them can ward off negativity and bad vibes. Try ringing a bell a handful of times in a room that feels heavy, or simply hang some by your front door to renew the energy of your home every time someone enters or leaves.
10. Listen to music (at the same frequency as the universe)
According to some music theorists, the universe vibrates at a 432-hertz frequency. That is why they say if you listen to a sound — or music — at 432 hertz, it can boost positive energy in yourself and your immediate surroundings. Drown out negative energy from your home by listening to your favorite album or playlist at 432 hertz, and keep your ears and space in sync with the “heartbeat of the Earth.”
We only recommend products we have independently researched, tested, and loved. If you purchase a product found through our links, Sunday Edit may earn an affiliate commission.